Information on Phobias
Published on Sep 14, 2020
The phobias are an intense, unrealistic, and president fear of a certain object or situation.
It is challenging and uncomfortable. They typically involve fear related to animals, natural environments, medical issues, or specific situation .the national institute of mental health suggests that phobias affect approximately 10 % o0f U.S adult each year.
The following phobias are the most 10 common objects or situation that lead to marked fear in some cases these symptoms escalate into a full –blow Panic attack
According to the DSM, most of the phobias are fall in mainly five categories:
- Fear related to a specific situation(height, riding an elevator, driving)
- Fear related to animals(dogs, rats, spiders, lizard)
- Fear related to blood, injury, or medical issue(injections, broken bones, falls)
- Fear related to natural environmental(Heights, thunder, darkness)
- And some other phobias like choking, loud noises, drowning, etc.
These categories usually fall in specific objects and situations which is usually cause such a disturbing thing in one's life. People with this anxiety can face different types of attacks like panic attacks, in this attack situation, people can do anything even harming themselves and others as well, which they usually not going to do in their normal state. These attacks can also create an abnormal situation for the one who is suffering from these phobias.
- AEROPHOBIA- it is a fear of flying the fear of people sometimes causes people to avoid flying altogether. Between 10% and 40% of U.S adults although airplane accidents are very actually uncommon the most common symptoms associated with the phobia include trembling, rapid heartbeat, and feeling disoriented.
- ASTRAPHOBIA- it is a fear of thunder and lightning it is a weather-related phenomenon, during a thunder lightning storm, people will be disorder may to great length to take shelter or hide from the weather the symptoms are similar to other phobias and include shaking, rapid heart rate and increased respiration.
- SOCIAL PHOBIA- it involves the phobia of social situation and be quite disturbing these types of phobias are occur become so serve that people avoid events, places, and people who are likely to trigger an anxiety attack social phobias often develop during puberty and can last throughout life unless they are treated. The fear of public speaking is the most common form of social phobia.
- TRYPANOPHOBIA- it is a fear of injection it is commonly seen in many people a condition that can sometimes cause people to avoid medical treatment and doctors. An estimate suggests that as many 20% to 30% of adults are affected by this type of phobia. In this phobia, the people have experienced a feeling of extreme dread and elevated heart rate leading up to the procedure.
- MYSOPHOBIA- it is a fear of germs and dirt, it can lead excessively in extreme cleaning, compulsive hand-washing, and even avoidance of things or situations related to dirt in some instances, the phobia relates to obsessive-compulsive disorder the symptoms are contamination, over the cause of disinfectants, and excessive.
- Cynophobia- it is the fear of dogs, it is caused due to some personal experience like bitten by dogs in childhood, these situations can be quite traumatic and can lead to lifelong with the person. This phobia is quite common among people.
Studying these phobias is quite a complicated process. Most people don’t take treatment because they thought it's quite a normal situation.
Common Phobias List
Acrophobia, fear of heights
Aerophobia, Fear of lying
Arachnophobia, Fear of spiders
Astraphobia, Fear of thunder and lightening
Autophobia, fear of being alone
Claustrophobia, fear of confined or crowded spaces
Homophobia, fear of blood
Treatment of phobia
- The most specific treatment for specific phobias is a type of psychotherapy called exposure therapy.
- The treatment helps to change your thoughts and feeling about the object or situation.
- The goal is to improve your quality of life so that you are no longer distressed by your fear.