House Passes Bill Proposing to Make Washington, D.C., the 51st State
- The Democratic-controlled House approved legislation that would make Washington, D.C., the 51st state.
- An area around the White House, the Capitol and the Supreme Court would remain as a two-square-mile federal area under the legislation. D.C. would be the first new state admitted to the U.S.A. since Hawaii in 1959, and proponents have already designed American flags that fit 51 stars.
Source : The Wall Street Journal
Related General Knowledge
- The U.S. is a country of 50 states covering a vast swath of North America, with Alaska in the northwest and Hawaii extending the nation’s presence into the Pacific Ocean.
- Major Atlantic Coast cities are New York, a global finance and culture center, and capital Washington, DC. Midwestern metropolis Chicago is known for influential architecture and on the west coast, Los Angeles' Hollywood is famed for filmmaking.
- Capital: Washington, D.C.
- President: Joe Biden
- Official languages: None at the federal level