Tamil Nadu allows Sterlite Plant in Thoothukudi to reopen for 4 months to produce oxygen
- The Tamil Nadu government allowed Vedanta’s Sterlite copper plant in Thoothukudi district to reopen for the sole purpose of producing oxygen.
- The plant will be allowed to operate temporarily for only four months, which is subject to extension on a need basis.
- The Sterlite Plant in Thoothukudi was closed by the Tamil Nadu government in May 2018 for the violation of environmental norms.
Source : hindustantimes
Related General Knowledge
- Tamil Nadu, a South Indian state, is famed for its Dravidian-style Hindu temples.
- In Madurai, Meenakshi Amman Temple has high ‘gopuram’ towers ornamented with colourful figures.
- The town of Kanyakumari, at India’s southernmost tip, is the site of ritual sunrises.
- Governor: Banwarilal Purohit
- Capital: Chennai
- Population: 6.79 crores (2012)
- Chief minister: Edappadi K. Palaniswami